Monday, July 5, 2010

Some family history.

Mum suggested I write down what I'd learnt while doing family history, so I will.

I'll start with the Lovedays.
Richard John Loveday was born in London, England in 1789. He married Ann Randall and they had eight children that I'm aware of. Their first son, Richard John Loveday was born in 1814, but died two years later and is buried in St Martin in the Fields, England, United Kingdom. I'm unsure if that's St Martin in the Fields, a parish abolished in 1922, or St Martin in the Fields, a pretty looking Anglican church in the City of Westminster. Either way, I'm going to assume the family was Anglican.

They had Ann in 1815, Elizabeth in 1817, Richard John (another one!) in 1818, Mary in 1825, George in 1827, Emma in 1829, and Caroline Sarah (or Sarah Caroline) in 1834. They were all born in England.

Richard John Loveday Jr (the one who didn't die or course), married Bridget Ann Shea (or O'Shea) in 1841.

Bridget was born in Limerick in Ireland in 1819 to William and Catherine Shea.

Richard and Bridget had three children while living in Ireland; Ann, born 1842; Richard, born 1844; and Thomas, born 1846. The family then moved to South Australia in 1847 on the "Royal George," probably for Richard's work. He worked as a surveyor. The couple had another daughter after their move to SA; Mary Elizabeth, who was born in 1850 at the Military Barracks, where they were living for a while.

Bridget died of breast cancer two years later, so Richard was left with four children aged 2-10 in a new country. He married Susannah Sadgrove in 1853 at the Turf Hotel, and they had nine children together (not all surviving though).

I'd list them, but they aren't important to my story, because none of them led to the eventual birth of me. Ann Loveday did.

Ann lived in Reedbeds with her family until she married Robert Alexander Rose (whom I will get back to later) in 1862. She was 20 years old, and he was a storeman from the area. I think they moved to Port Adelaide, but I'm not sure.

They had a daughter Ann in 1862 (I'm beginning to see a trend with this name!), followed by Catherine May in 1866. They had a son, Alexander Robert in 1869, but he died four days later. Another daughter, Edith Jane, was born in 1876, but she died when she was nine years old.

The family moved to Windsor and lived near Ann's sister. Here Ann had two more children; Richard John Loveday Rose in 1878, and Ellen Frances Emily Rose in 1881. Something I don't know a lot about, but was included in some information a distant cousin sent me was that, while Ann's children were growing up, Ann raised a orphaned baby girl, named Jane Hamilton.

I think Ann sounded like a lovely woman. She died of cancer when she was 69, in 1911, and is buried at the Dublin (SA) cemetery.

Anyhoo, before I move on, I'll go back to Ann's husband, Robert Rose, because I find the Rose family rather interesting. They were Scottish, and the Scottish are far more interesting than the English.

Robert Alexander Rose was born on Christmas day in 1841, to Robert and Catherine Rose. He had at least one sister, but I don't care because she doesn't lead to me :-P
Anyway, Robert Sr (too many Roberts in this family! - Funny coz that's also my mother's maiden name) is the son of Alexander Rose, of Scotland (I'd get specific, but it's not important. Highland Scotland though). And Alexander Rose is the son of Alexander Rose Sr. who is said to have been a fugitive from the Battle of Culloden. The Battle of Culloden was a battle for the royal throne between the House of Hanover and House of Stuart. I think. I believe the Roses were on England's side of Hanover, which I'll say is the good side because I don't like France :-P

Anyway, I find Scotland interesting because they had/have clans, which all have cool histories. They have their own tartans, mottos, and sometimes castles. I'm Scottish through a few different part of the family, but the Roses are the only ones I've traced back to a specific clan. The Rose clan. Not just through the name, but also where they were located in Scotland. The Rose motto is: Constant and true. The badge is wild rosemary, the lands are Strathnairn, Ross-shire, and the clan chief is Miss Elizabeth Rose of Kilravock. Most of that is boring, but the tartan is red, so that's good, because I like red. There is also a clan castle, Kilravock Castle, but it's not the coolest castle I've ever seen.

Anyways, back to it. So Ann and Robert Rose's youngest daughter, Ellen Frances Emily Rose (hey I like that name), was born in 1881 in Reedbeds (I don't even know where that is). She married Sydney Dean Roberts, and they had a bunch of kiddies, one being my grandfather Frederick Keith Roberts. He married Gran, they had my Mum, and Bob's your Uncle. Actually he's not, he's my Great, great grandfather ;-)

Mmm so that's the Loveday side. Loveday, near Loxton is named after us. Yeeeaaahh eat that. Also Loveday road in Windsor. Little bit of trivia, which isn't that interesting - Richard John Loveday surveyed the area of Burra. I lived in Burra when I was a kid. Coolies. Mmmmmm. Nope. I'm not actually expecting anyone to read up to here, so if you've made it this far, good for you.

I'm going to switch to my grandmother's side of the family now (still my mum's side though).

John Wylie and Mary Deans were the proud parents of Benjamin Wylie in 1752, in Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland (lowland Scotland this time). Benjamin married Mary Hyslop and they had William Wylie in 1788, at Windyhill in Canonbie. He was baptised as a baby. I'm going to assume they were Presbyterian. I say that because A) They're Scottish, and B) While I was looking at ship records in the library, I saw 'PRES' or something similar-ish next to their religion. Doesn't really matter, but it makes for interesting little stories in my head, but we won't go into that.

William Wylie married Ann Young and together they had James (1811), Benjamin (1813), Ann (1815), Margaret (1817), Jane (1819, but died), Jane (1821), William (1823), Robert (1828), and Mary (1834). In 1853 William and Ann made their way to South Australia on the 'Shackamaxon'. I do believe most of their children had come before them. There was an infant named Benjamin Wylie on the ship with William and Ann. I'm going to assume it wasn't their son because they already had an older son called Benjamin who wasn't dead yet. Also, they were 65 while they were on the ship, so it's not likely the baby was theirs. Maybe it was a grandchild? Either way, it gets a bit sad because William and Benjamin died on the ship, probably of Scarlet fever. They, like the other passengers that died (10% of the 700 passengers died), were buried at sea.

Ann and William's son, John Wylie, came to SA on April 30, 1839 on the ship 'Fairfield'. He married Mary Brown, and they had Jane Wylie in 1842 in Long Valley, SA. Jane married Richard Fogden, who was one of nine children to Charles Fogden and Sophia Slater from England. They had come to Australia in 1838 on the 'Prince George'.

Jane and Richard Fogden had 12 children of their own, and adopted 3 more. At least two of those three children were most probably their grandchildren, born of their daughter Mary, who was unwed. One of her sons was born in the Destitute Asylum in Adelaide (not a nice place to be at all). Mary was probably there because the father of the children was either unknown, or she couldn't prove they were his, because men could just deny it and run off, leaving the women alone. Being an unmarried mother put you very, very low in society. I'm going to assume the boys had different fathers though, because they were born about 7 years apart. Unless she forgave the scumbag...

Anyway, Jane and Richard had another daughter who had a baby in the Destitute Asylum (boy they bred themselves some hussies, huh?), but I don't think that was their third adopted son, I think she kept him.

But neither of those girls lead to me. Their younger sister Edith May Fogden does. She married George Henry Young, and they had seven kids, one being Linda Ellen Young, who married Henry Leonard Manhire, and they had my grandma, who had my mum and then she had meeeeee.

I never met Linda Young, but my mother loved her a lot. She was a lovely Christian lady. She died before I was born, but I did get to meet Henry Manhire. I have pleasant memories of Crown Mints. I also remember comforting mum when he died. Apparently he wasn't a very nice guy though. I never know people aren't nice until someone tells me lol. From the stories I've been told, it really does seem like opposites attract. Linda and Henry. I wonder if they loved each other, or just stayed together because they had to?

So...from that I've learnt I'm 100% South Australian. Actually, this is only my mum's side, so I suppose it only tells me I'm at least 50% South Australian lol. Well I'm pretty sure I'm South Australian on my Dad's side too. I'll have to get the family info off of my Grandma at some point, so I can do that side. I used to be disappointed that I didn't have any convict history, but I suppose it's not too bad. Pretty boring that I'm only English, Irish and Scottish though. Nothing exotic there. Ooooh well. Also pretty boring religiously. Anglican and Presbyterian. I suppose there could be some Catholic in there somewhere, since some of them came from Ireland (the Republic side), but I doubt there was very much, and they probably weren't very devout, since most marriages once they came to Australia were in Anglican churches.

Well that was long and boring. Adios.

5 comments:

  1. You actually read that? You never read my blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Rosalie... that was really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, we're related :) Richard John Loveday and Ann Randall had Mary Ursala Loveday in 1825, and I'm descended from her daughter, Kate. I found your blog by Googling the first two names - cool, eh?! I haven't had any luck going back further than Richard John and Ann, have you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sorry I haven't checked this blog in a while, I didn't realise I'd gotten a reply.
      Nice to meet you lol. I'm pretty sure Richard and Ann are as far back as I've got, I haven't been able to find anything further back.

      Delete